Saturday, April 16, 2011

On the third day of moving, my roommate gave to me...

Today we moved the last of it. Everything Crysta owns is now in our huge apartment. I've spent the last three days unloading, putting away and arranging the place to make it a home. I think I've done a spectacular job. I make a very good housewife. Memphis is curled up in the chair next to me, and now this place feels like a real sanctuary, not just a couple of rooms stacked with boxes and upside-down furniture.

Not much has happened since I've gotten here. I've missed home a couple of times, but the longing eventually passes and I find something new to discover either inside the apartment, or outside with Crysta. She and her boyfriend (I'm calling him that even if she's not. They're so mushy.) and I went to downtown Ann Arbor yesterday for lunch after getting a few more things moving into the apartment. We went to the Jolly Pumpkin, my new favourite bar and restaurant. It's got a great dark wood decor, with lots of old family photos and odd nicknacks adoring the walls and ceiling. Not to mention that they have the best burger I've ever had. Why anyone gets meat any way but rare or medium rare is beyond me. The medium rareness made it so juicy and soaked the bun perfectly. There was just the right amount of cheese, and even the bacon wasn't too much or cooked too crispy. It was heaven from a cow.

Oh, PS- it's been too hard to keep up being veg during this trip. There aren't enough places along I-70 to sustain a vegetarian, so that had to be sacrificed. I'll start again Monday. Promise.

Afterward they showed me the best comic book store ever. It is bigger than any I have ever been in before (first floor AND basement filled), and I get to go back in about a week to buy myself some dice for the Vampire: The Masquerade tabletop game we're joining. More on that once it starts, however. Last, but certainly not least, was the Robot Supply and Repair shop. It's a front for a writing center, but it has everything a robot enthusiast or steampunker could want. There were vaccuum tubes to chattering teeth- anything and everything to make your own personal robot butler, minus the snooty accent. It's a volunteer-only place, but I think I'm going to apply anyway. Besides that, the guy behind the counter and I talked about Doctor Who for about seven minutes. I call that place the ultimate win.

Since then I have gone to Meijer, the BEST store in the world. Think of it as a better, cheaper and non-evil Wal-Mart. I have gotten to see Mom, and gotten a new hand me down dresser that I am absolutely in love with and never giving up ever. It's a dark wood, very tall, with gold, ornate handles. I adore it SO much, and can't wait to see it in my room every day. After moving the very last of Crysta's things, she, mom and I went to DiBella's Submarines, and I have found my last meal. All I want before I die is an Italian Assortment on everything bread with lettuce, pickles, black olives, mayo and olive oil with a Cherry Coke on the side. Ugh. I want to marry that sandwich. In fact, the veggie sticks snack I'm eating right now just lost some of its flavour when I thought of that sandwich. So. Good.

Called dad and Camron, too, just to see how things were and I'm a little sad that things are not as they left them. But c'est la vie. I'll provide support where I can, and love them all anyway. There's not much I can do from here anyway, and I trust them to do their very best for the situation. I should probably call my sister, too, so she doesn't feel left out.

I'll just get another glass of apple cherry juice first.

No comments:

Post a Comment