Saturday, December 10, 2011

One Week


(Oh, yeah. We "made" a gingerbread house, too. Kind of.)

Yesterday marked the one week mark until I go home for Christmas. It's almost surreal that I'm even going home. If it weren't for all of you reading this, I wouldn't be. But Friday I'll be on a plane back to Los Angeles. I'm both incredibly excited... and absolutely terrified.

As many of you know, my family has been going through a very rough time. My brother is awol most of the time, my father ignores his problems and escapes to Big Bear. Really, the only sane one left is my sister. Which I'm thankful for, because I at least have one house of sanity to run to. But I'm incredibly nervous about what Christmas will bring. It obviously won't be the same, but how not the same is left wide open. I have no idea what to expect, and that scares me. I never like entering a new situation completely unarmed. I'm fiercly protective of Christmas, and each one seems to get a little worse. I'm hoping for the best, but keeping a few contingency plans in the works.

I have no idea what home will be like. I've never been away this long, and I'm nervous that I'll no longer have a place among all my friends. I've definitely changed, and while I think it's for the better, I don't know how anyone will react. Sure, this is all speculation, but I've honestly got no idea what will happen when I step off that plane.

I also have no idea how rent will be paid. I'm only working two weeks this month, and I've already spent a good chunk of paycheck on getting things ready for my trip. God provides, but I'm never sure exactly how much. Yes, some voice in my head says "everything," but c'mon. I wouldn't be me if I didn't worry.

What I do know is that Christmas lights looks much, much better when there's snow on the ground, and I have officially walked in temperatures in the teens. It hasn't snowed much, and so far driving is okay. I can scrape ice with the best of them, and I haven't slipped and fallen once! Okay once, but I tripped on a stick, not the ice. It totally doesn't count. People saw me, though, so that was embarrassing. Noel Night in downtown Detroit was really fun, even if I had a headache the whole time. I'm in love with the DIA, and I can't wait to go back and spend hours looking at art from all over the world. I really enjoy Detroit, and wish I could spend more time there. I'll always have a thing for cities. We understand each other.

C and I went to Holly, and missed the tree lighting ceremony, but walked around a bit. You really do go back in time when you step onto the streets of downtown Holly. The shops are adorable, and filled with cute nick-nacks and made-in-Michigan products. I bought my favourite chips in the world (Factory tortilla chips), and had some tasty creme soda! All in all, it was a fun (if freeeeeezing) night!

I'm going home in SIX DAYS. I miss my dog like no one's business. I'll miss my cat about the same. I got him a scratching post to distract him from my absence. I hope it works. Three weeks is a long time to be away. I'll desperately miss game night, but I'm excited for all the other nights I get to spend in the company I've missed for the past eight and a half months.

I can still use a whole lot of prayer, if you're up for it. Financially, spiritually, emotionally... these past eight and a half months have been bumpy, to say the least. Keep those good vibes coming! And I'll see you in six days, Southern California!

3 comments:

  1. Melisa and I are looking forward to having you come to our Christmas party if you can make it! I hope your Christmas is everything you dream of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will absolutely be there! Still looking for the perfect white elephant gift. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent. Safe travels and give Sawyer an extra hug for me. He will act like he hates it, but he really loves it deep down in his heart.

    ReplyDelete